biogas

Sweden

Carlsberg Group Now Running Sweden's First Carbon-Neutral Brewery

0
Carlsberg Sverige’s brewery in Falkenberg, Sweden, is now fuelled 100% on biogas and green electricity, reducing the brewery's carbon emissions from thermal energy and electricity to zero. It is Sweden's first big brewery with zero carbon emissions from its energy consumption.
Carlsberg Group Now Running Sweden

The brewery has been using green electricity for many years, and 26 percent of the thermal energy comes from biogas generated from the brewery's own waste water with the remaining 74 percent made up of natural gas. Now, in cooperation with energy supplier Ørsted AB, it is being converted to biogas with certificates ensuring that the biogas supplied to the grid has replaced an equivalent amount of natural gas.

"For many, many years we have been working to create a more efficient brewery with as little impact on our environment as possible. This is clear when looking at how much we have reduced our energy consumption over the years. It is motivating that we now take a big step forward and use solely carbon neutral energy sources", said Ted Akiskalos, MD, Carlsberg Sverige.

Through the Science-Based Targets initiative, Carlsberg Group has set an industry-leading 1.5 degree ambition compared to the Paris agreement’s base-level 2-degree goal. The Carbon Trust highlights Carlsberg among only three major companies having set and approved targets with this level of ambition.

 “Climate change is perhaps the most important issue for our society today, both for citizens, governments and companies all over the world, and we are very pleased with the positive development in Carlsberg Sverige. Carlsberg Group will continue to chase our ambitions and targets, as we strive to brew for a better today and tomorrow,” concluded Simon Boas Hoffmeyer, Sustainability Director, Carlsberg Group.

Add a comment
Baterías con premio en la gran feria europea del almacenamiento de energía
El jurado de la feria ees (la gran feria europea de las baterías y los sistemas acumuladores de energía) ya ha seleccionado los productos y soluciones innovadoras que aspiran, como finalistas, al gran premio ees 2021. Independientemente de cuál o cuáles sean las candidaturas ganadoras, la sola inclusión en este exquisito grupo VIP constituye todo un éxito para las empresas. A continuación, los diez finalistas 2021 de los ees Award (ees es una de las cuatro ferias que integran el gran evento anual europeo del sector de la energía, The smarter E).