Lhyfe starts construction on its third green hydrogen production site

Global green and renewable hydrogen pioneer Lhyfe and AREC Occitanie, a regional energy and climate agency, have started construction on a new production plant at Bessières in the south of France, which should be operational by the end of 2023 and will help the Occitanie region reach its goal of reducing carbon emissions from transportation.
Lhyfe starts construction on its third green hydrogen production site
Courtesy of Lhyfe.

The plant will be located in the Triangle business park in Bessières, 40 kilometres from Toulouse, on approximately 8,000 square metres of land. It will be Lhyfe's third production site, with the previous two located in Pays de la Loire, and Brittany. Lhyfe is funding 80 per cent of the project, while AREC Occitanie is funding the remaining 20 per cent. The company is aiming to develop similar facilities across the UK and Europe to support its net zero goals. Construction work has just begun and commissioning is due in December 2023.

The Lhyfe Occitanie site will have the capacity to produce two tonnes of green and renewable hydrogen a day (equivalent to a generating capacity of 5 MW), with the possibility to ramp up production to meet growing demand for hydrogen in the region.

The Occitanie H2 Corridor is a part of the North-South European hydrogen corridor initiative, which is designed to decarbonise passenger and goods transportation along an axis that extends from the Mediterranean to the North Sea.

The Lhyfe Occitanie plant will assist in the decarbonisation of these modes of transportation by supplying green and renewable hydrogen to trucks, coaches, and other fuel cell vehicles, particularly on the Albi-Toulouse route.

The Occitanie Region intends to have two renewable hydrogen production facilities by the end of 2024, producing a total of six tonnes of output per day, as well as seven hydrogen fuel stations that can supply between 600 and 1200 kg per day, 40 hydrogen-powered trucks, 62 refrigerated trailers/units, and 15 regional interurban buses retrofitted to run on hydrogen.

Lhyfe Occitanie could also supply the necessary refuelling stations that will be built in the region.

Furthermore, due to its scalable production capacity, the plant will also fulfil the demand for green and renewable hydrogen in industries such as aeronautics, equipment manufacturing, logistics providers, and local authorities interested in decarbonising their mobility and/or processes.

Lhyfe Occitanie supports a short supply chain concept by generating and consuming energy locally, and can provide its hydrogen within a 200-kilometre radius.

“Making green hydrogen one of the energies of the future in Occitanie, is the choice we made in 2019 in adopting a dedicated plan” said Carole Delga, President of the Occitanie region. “Today, one of the biggest challenges of energy transition is heavy mobility. That is why the Region has initiated the Occitanie H2 Corridor project, integrating industry and mobility on a European level. I am proud that this project is being developed here in Occitanie and that Lhyfe is contributing to decarbonisation at the heart of our communities.”

For additional information:


Baterías con premio en la gran feria europea del almacenamiento de energía
El jurado de la feria ees (la gran feria europea de las baterías y los sistemas acumuladores de energía) ya ha seleccionado los productos y soluciones innovadoras que aspiran, como finalistas, al gran premio ees 2021. Independientemente de cuál o cuáles sean las candidaturas ganadoras, la sola inclusión en este exquisito grupo VIP constituye todo un éxito para las empresas. A continuación, los diez finalistas 2021 de los ees Award (ees es una de las cuatro ferias que integran el gran evento anual europeo del sector de la energía, The smarter E).