The report details how the company actively works to mitigate climate change and preserve the environment, promotes the health and sustainability of resort communities through multi-faceted and localized support, supports its dedicated and passionate employees, and ensures equitable access to its resorts for the sustainable growth of the industry. Notable achievements include:
- Vail Resorts reached 100% renewable electricity across its North American mountain resorts, and 96% worldwide. It is critical to develop and add new renewable electricity to the grid to displace fossil fuels.
- The company donated $22.9 million to over 250 local organizations working to address the various needs of their communities – from food and housing assistance and childcare, to inclusive access programs and forest health.
- Vail Resorts provided $1.3 million in emergency relief grants and scholarships, including financial support to team members directly impacted by the Marshall Fire in Colorado.
- During the 2021/22 winter season, Vail Resorts hosted more than 8,000 youth including from cities such as New York, Chicago, Boston and others, who otherwise might not have had access to skiing and riding, and provided more than $8 million in donated goods and services.
- Vail Resorts champions sustainability across the industry, and advocates at the state, local, and federal levels for climate action through participation in groups including Ceres, RE100, and its leadership in the Mountain Collaborative for Climate Action.
"It is because of the passionate work of our team that we are able to share these results. We have set bold goals and commitments and continue to deliver on promises we have made to our environment and our communities," said Kirsten Lynch, CEO of Vail Resorts.
"Climate change requires all of us working together to mitigate the challenges facing not just our industry, but our planet – and we remain dedicated to doing our part as responsible stewards of the great outdoors and committed partners to our communities. I am so proud of our team for staying focused and on track as we continue to make progress towards a zero net operating footprint," Lynch continued.
Responsible and active stewards of the environment.
The company and its employees understand that no one person or company can solve the climate crisis alone, and collaboration is vital to progress. To mitigate its impact on the climate, and maintain its leading position, Vail Resorts remains committed to working with like-minded partners and making strategic investments, including:
- In 2022, it made its most significant single-year capital investment in energy efficiency projects, totaling $3.6 million.
- Continuing to drive climate advocacy efforts through participation in groups including Ceres and RE100, and its leadership in the Mountain Collaborative for Climate Action, now in its third year.
- Empowering committed Vail Resorts team members who are working on projects like upcycling retired lift towers into terrain features at Northstar, recycling chair pads in Park City, and more.